FY Corporate Highlights
ESG: Upholding Sustainability Standards
- During 2021, Aldar recirculated AED 8.8 billion to the local economy through the National In-Country Value Programme.
- Aldar’s ESG focus saw the company secure the region’s first sustainability-linked loan, with the AED 300 million five-year facility linked to the company’s sustainability performance. Aldar also became the first entity to open a sustainable bank account in the UAE through Standard Chartered.
- Aldar also joined the United Nations Global Compact, adopted the Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosures framework, and achieved the highest ESG rating amongst publicly listed real estate developers in the UAE. In Q4, Aldar boosted its inclusion efforts through an agreement with Zayed Higher Organisation to enhance career opportunities and accessibility for people of determination at both a corporate level and across the company’s communities and developments.
Innovation: Supporting, Nurturing and Investing in New Ideas and Tech
- During 2021, Aldar launched the second cycle of its Scale Up programme, which is one of the UAE’s first programmes to attract international start-ups with technologies that have the potential to shape the open metaverse. Aldar also looked to support innovative retail SMEs through its Manassah programme, a six-month entrepreneurship incubator aimed at advancing homegrown retail concepts in the GCC.
- Aldar boosted its exposure to international PropTech startups through investment into a selection of global VC funds, including Fifth Wall, CamberCreek, PI Labs, and Moderne Ventures. These funds allow Aldar to quickly and rationally assess co-investment opportunities within the funds’ startup portfolios, while also enabling the company to identify startups for pilot trials.
- The company also signed an agreement with Majid Al Futtaim to collaborate on the digitalisation of real estate transactions to make property purchases, sales, and management a simple and convenient process for both UAE-based and overseas customers.
People: Empowering Employees in the Workplace
- Boosting its efforts to develop the next generation of talent in Abu Dhabi, Aldar committed to hiring and training 1,000 UAE nationals by 2026. Currently, UAE nationals represent 35.5% of Aldar’s employees, an increase of 6 percentage points compared to 2020.
- Aldar was also named as a top 10 employer for the working environment it has created for women by ‘Great Place to Work’.
Customers: Enhancing Experience
- Aldar's NPS results witnessed a 10% improvement compared to 2020, while its loyalty programme, Darna increased to 57,000 members in 2021.
- Aldar committed AED 500 million to its Yas Mall asset, redeveloping the mall to improve and transform the retail experience and enhance the customer journey.